- Conduct cultural resource identification and evaluation surveys for public and private sector clients under the guidance of an experienced historian
- Assist with the preparation of technical documents regarding historic properties in support of transportation and land development projects under the guidance of an experienced historian. Tasks include background research, the identification and evaluation of historic properties, and technical writing.
- Support other departments and regional offices with historic preservation planning, site history research, and compliance services.
- Possess a Master’s Degree in Architectural History, Historic Preservation Planning or closely-related discipline, OR a within 9 months of receiving degree
- Knowledge of the application of the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the evaluation of historic properties
- Knowledge of federal and state cultural resource management, federal and state cultural resource and historic preservation statutes and regulations, including Section 106 and National Register criteria is required.
- Excellent research, writing, editing, and photographic abilities
- Experience researching the history of buildings and knowledge of available sources
- Knowledge of architectural styles, forms, building materials, and periods of development
- Knowledge of the history and architecture of Georgia
- Familiarity with existing context studies in Georgia is strongly preferred (Georgia’s Living Places, the Ranch house in Georgia, Tilling the Earth)
- Ability to read and interpret aerial photography and maps
- Proficiency in MS Office suite
- Experience with GIS software is preferred, but not required.
This position requires periodic outdoor work with limited travel subject to project needs. Strong written and verbal communication skills are paramount, and the ideal candidate must be detail-oriented with the ability to effectively convey technical information. Strong organizational skills are essential, and the ideal candidate must be able to manage priorities, meet deadlines, and work in a team environment.