Product Development, Full Time
Design mechanical systems and components, along with their associated specifications and manufacturing processes, to produce new products for our Company and its customers.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Generate original mechanical part and/or system designs to meet specific product requirements as part of a product development team.
- Work with vendors to develop component specifications, processes, and inspection criteria for mechanical parts manufactured using injection molding, sheet metal, casting, etc.
- Identify risk areas, potential improvements, and possible alternatives during the development process, both with respect to component design and mechanical assembly.
- Develop designs that promote efficient manufacturability and testability in production.
- Provide technical input to process engineers in support of production process development activities.
- Provide technical guidance to junior members of the mechanical engineering team.
- Provide mechanical engineering input to development project quoting activities.
- Document ideas, designs, specifications, and instructions to our company’s standards.
- Work within the design team to promote design team abilities and establish good working practices.
- Have strong mechanical design abilities to create designs, using plastics and metals, based on product specifications.
- Able to develop components and systems using a CAD package such as SolidWorks.
- Have a demonstrated familiarity with injection molding, sheet metal, castings, extrusions, and surface finish processes.
- Able to work with a minimum of supervision but yet keep other member apprised of the status of work.
- Have a working knowledge of applicable regulatory requirements such as ISO, UL, and IEC.
- Ability to follow established design procedures during the development cycle and document the design to our company’s standards.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work between multiple departments in carrying out this position’s duties.
- A 4-year degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related engineering discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years of mechanical engineering design or equivalent experience.