The successful candidate will join a strong team of motivated individuals and contribute to the successful completion of instrumentation and controls (I&C) design projects for our municipal and industrial water and wastewater clients on a regional and national basis. As part of our team, the candidate will have the opportunity to interface with clients, consultants, implementation staff and other design disciplines to understand their process, instrumentation and controls requirements and produce deliverables associated with Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems. Typical design tasks include:
- Participate in site investigations to gather information about the client’s systems, equipment and instruments, to inform the concepts that will be applied to meet the client’s goals;
- Produce design basis reports that outline a client’s specific needs for automation and control;
- Produce SCADA system architecture diagrams, applying networking, industrial protocols, remote telemetry, and cyber security concepts in the process;
- Produce Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) in conjunction with process engineers, learning how treatment processes work and how the equipment and instruments properly monitor and control the plant, facility or system;
- Select and specify instrumentation, including level, pressure, flow, temperature, process analyzers and more, understanding how each is deployed in the process for maximum effectiveness;
- Design Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)-based SCADA control panels, understanding how the individual components are chosen, arranged and assembled to efficiently monitor and control the client’s process equipment and instruments;
- Select and specify SCADA computer hardware and software, including Human Machine Interface (HMI) software to provide graphical representation of the client’s processes, automated reporting software, remote access systems and other critical applications and packages that comprise a robust and reliable system;
- Produce public bidding drawings and specifications that ensure the client project needs are met while still following the municipal, state and federal guidelines that govern fair and competitive bidding practices.
· The candidate will have the opportunity to participate in construction phase activities as well, including interfacing with clients and contractors, reviewing submittals and performing site inspections. By being part of the construction phase, the candidate will have the opportunity to see the design they developed installed and commissioned, gaining valuable feedback and experience that can be applied to the next project.
To be successful as a member of our team, the candidate should exhibit some or all these traits:
- Able to contribute in a team environment, but also able to work independently – we come together a lot to share ideas and ways to work efficiently, but we also must be able to work alone and bring back the results;
- Have strong communication skills (oral and written) – It doesn’t matter how great an idea you have or how smart you are, being successful is about communicating with others;
- Possess strong organizational skills – tasks and information are going to come at you fast, so you need to be able to take good notes and keep track of your assignments;
- Attention to detail – as in many engineering disciplines, paying attention to the smallest details is critical;
- Self-motivated and self-starting – a critical skill in our environment which shows a lot of maturity and desire to succeed;
- Not afraid to ask questions – this may seem obvious but is more difficult than many anticipate.
· As we continue to grow its national footprint, we increase our opportunities to work with clients from all areas of the United States. Because of this, the candidate must be flexible for 10-25% travel in the New England region and nationwide.
· AS or BS in Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or associated field;
· 0-5 years’ experience in an industrial or electrical environment either as an intern, engineer or consultant. Specific position level, role and responsibility is flexible depending on experience of the candidate.
· Experience with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Access experience is a bonus);
· Experience with AutoCAD drafting software (AutoCAD Electrical experience is a bonus);
· Experience in technical report writing is a bonus;