Who we are looking for:
Due to our continued growth, we are offering a unique opportunity for a highly motivated Contracts Attorney to join our fast-paced Legal Department. In addition to contracting and management of contracting templates and standards, this role will include some engagement with supporting various legal projects and tasks. The Contracts Attorney will work directly with the Head of Legal and Paralegal to provide legal support to the organization. You will primarily review and negotiate contracts for our projects, assist in responding to requests for proposals, and perform associated tasks. To be successful in this role, you will need to be flexible and self-motivated with the ability to support a significant workload for a small legal team.
Our Legal Department is currently based in our headquarters in Portland, Maine and plays a central role in all of our activities and operations, including supporting all customer projects, the corporate services departments, and all legal aspects of the organization. The Legal team takes pride in providing the highest level of client service with an emphasis on being proactive, practical and in partnership with the business. This position will involve occasional travel.
What’s in it for you?
If you are looking for an opportunity with a company where you will play a role in supporting the efforts of protecting the environment and giving back to your community, please consider us.
What will you be doing?
What you need to succeed:
- Prepare, review and negotiate contracts for external projects, including engineering, operations and management, and other projects with relative complexity.
- Review requests for proposals and requests for qualifications to identify legal support required.
- Negotiate vendor and supplier contracts and other legal agreements as needed.
- Interpret key substantive legal contractual provisions in light of the Company’s business objectives and operations considerations and advise internal clients on the application and potential impact of such provisions.
- Engage with internal clients on emerging issues and advise on business and operations factors related to contractual commitments.
- Assist with the development of Legal Department processes and practices that standardize and streamline the contracting process.
- Manage standard Company contracting templates.
- Conduct periodic internal trainings on our contracting standards and requirements.
- Manage and complete additional projects or legal tasks assigned by the Head of Legal.
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Three-plus years of experience with a law firm and/or in-house, ideally in the engineering industry.
- A member in good standing to a State Bar, with a preference for Maine and multiple bar memberships are a plus.
- Must be well-organized and possess strong planning and analytical skills, with extremely high attention to detail.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to collaborate and function well in a team environment.
- Strong negotiation and conflict-based resolution skills.
- Ability to manage various independent tasks, while contributing to legal team obligations and internal client demands.
- Understanding of contractual and professional liability trends, developments and issues.
- Strong business judgment with the ability to escalate legal issues when needed.
- Strategic and creative approach to problem solving.