The Controller is responsible for the day to day fiscal operations and all general accounting functions, including General Ledger administration, reconciliations, financial reporting, and auditing activities. This position is responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of the organization's financial status and compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Oversees all aspects of the accounting, reporting, and auditing activities of the School Department to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies, contracts, and GAAP.
- Develops, documents, and implements policies, procedures, and systems necessary to support the accuracy and efficiency of the School Department’s fiscal operations.
- Identifies and corrects areas of potential weakness in the School Department’s internal control procedures, including internal audits.
- Prepares internal and external financial reports and coordinates all activities related to the annual independent audit including all supporting schedules, notes and documentation.
- Ensures the accuracy and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts and reviews, approves, and oversees postings of journal entries.
- Oversees billing and collection of the School Department’s revenues, including those derived from State appropriations, student tuition/fees, grants and contracts.
- Manages accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, accounts receivable and fixed asset records.
- Oversees grant and special revenue fund accounting.
- Works closely with Payroll manager to ensure timely posting and proper accounting of payroll transactions and regular reconciliation of all payroll accounts.
- Implements new financial system modules as appropriate and works with system administrators to trouble-shoot system issues as needed.
- Supervises professional accounting staff.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
- Thorough knowledge of fund accounting, municipal accounting, and auditing. School business management experience a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) regulations, and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS).
- Experience with financial and HR systems implementation and management. Familiarity with Munis a plus.
- Desire to constantly improve systems and processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to proactively establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting-related field from four-year college or university.
- 10+ years of accounting and fiscal management experience required. Experience in accounting and financial reporting for public sector organizations.
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- Experience as a supervisor in a medium-large organization desirable.
- Any combination of applicable education, training, and experience that provides the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position.
- Current or former Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Maine Department of Education Fingerprinting Certification
- The requirements of the job may necessitate occasional night and weekend work.