This position is accountable for driving and implementing projects that support our US compliance program. Projects include designing oversight programs and systems for analyzing and tracking legislation and other regulatory activity. The position requires strong knowledge of the insurance industry, the compliance and regulatory environment, Unum's products, services, and the marketplace. The individual will serve as an interface between the Law Department and the business areas regarding the compliance program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and manages projects involving the creation of procedures, processes and tracking devices that facilitate our US regulatory compliance program
- Develops methodologies to ensure compliance with new legal requirements
- Provides training, and expertise for business areas on the regulatory compliance program and regulatory requirements
- Researches law and industry trends to develop recommendations and strategic direction
- May participate in meetings with insurance department personnel as deemed warranted or suggested by the Department
- Works with Law Department partners and business areas to ensure the effective review, evaluation, and implementation of action on legislation, new laws and regulations affecting the product offering, including legislative trend analysis. Coordinates approach across multiple product lines.
- Participates on project development and other cross-functional teams to promote more consistent business practices
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent business experience required
- 2 + years experience preferred in handling state/federal leave applications (either in a human resources capacity or in a leave service provider capacity)
- Minimum 3-5 years regulatory experience and/or working in the legal environment
- Strong technical skills – Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong/proven knowledge of business processes and structure within an insurance environment
- Proven ability to research various areas and gather relevant information and positively impact project delivery
- Strong experience in project management and working on process improvement
- Strong verbal and oral communication ability
- Strong organization skills for documentation and other aspects of position
- Proven experience for successful partnering with areas outside own department
- Strong ability to resolve issues/conflict and negotiate and facilitate with project groups with proven experience driving group to successful completion
- Strong ability to perform analysis, resolve problems and appropriate recommendations for solutions