Specify, develop, and verify Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) designs and associated modules for new embedded systems products that we and our customers develop.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Design and development for FPGA and FPGA-based System-on-Chips (SoCs) used in new electronic products ranging from simple hardware solutions to highly complex embedded processing systems.
- Develop detailed specifications based on requirements and implement FPGA designs in accordance with those defined requirements and/or specifications.
- Collaborate with other members of the design team to evaluate possible alternatives during the development process and determine best approach based on performance, cost, and resources.
- Perform simulation activities including timing analysis, behavioral, and functional simulations.
- Develop test benches and other test tools as needed to complete verification of FPGA designs.
- Participate in the bring-up of new, custom FPGA-based hardware with support from firmware and electrical engineers.
- Support hardware development through schematic design and in some cases PCBA layout.
- Document ideas, designs, specifications, and instructions to our standards.
- Mentor junior members of the engineering staff to promote design team abilities and establish good working practices.
- Demonstrated skill in developing original designs with VHDL for FPGAs and/or FPGA-based SoCs.
- Strong understanding of FPGA design and architectural concepts as well as the integration with both hardware and software.
- Specific experience with common FPGA platforms such as Xilinx or Intel. Experience with Xilinx family of SoCs and associated interfaces (AXI4 bus, transceivers, etc.) is preferred.
- Strong understanding of tools and methodologies used in the context of FPGA development and integration. Familiarity with source control via established systems such as Git is a plus.
- Experience developing testbenches and applying simulation techniques including timing analysis, etc.
- Working knowledge of electronics development including schematic and PCBA layout tools.
- Demonstrated skill in independently using electronics lab equipment to develop/troubleshoot low-level drivers and hardware integration for interfaces such as I2C, SPI, UART, USB, etc.
- Experience designing real-time processing solutions including image/video processing.
- Be able to work with a minimum of supervision and follow established design procedures during the development cycle, documenting the design to our standards.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work between multiple departments in carrying out this position’s duties.
- A 4-year degree or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related engineering discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years of FPGA development or equivalent experience.
- We offer a competitive benefits package