The Delivery Driver Manager reports to the Market Manager and is responsible for hiring and overseeing delivery drivers and maintaining the delivery fleet to enhance customer satisfaction and loyalty.
The primary goal of this position is to provide timely and efficient deliveries to customers in the local market. This position provides leadership.
1. Provides twenty-four hour delivery service seven days a week by hiring and scheduling a productive workforce of regular, seasonal, and on-call drivers. In emergency situations, this position participates in making petroleum product deliveries.
2. Sets the standard for all drivers in building customer relationships, supporting annual customer growth and retention goals, corporate image, safe work habits, and driving courtesy.
3. Holds weekly driver huddles to communicate successes, metrics and delivery standards.
4. Holds individual performance conversations with drivers each month.
5. Regularly rides with drivers to review and observe established driving and delivery expectations and addresses observed deficiencies.
6. Evaluates and discusses performance with employees utilizing the Performance Scorecard.
7. Schedules repairs, maintenance, licensing, and inspections of delivery vehicles.
8. Maintains driver files and vehicle maintenance files according to federal and state regulations and company policy.
9. Maintains communication with Delivery Center Manager and Routing Specialists. Provides trucks and drivers needed to meet customer demand based on weekly forecast.
10. Participates in driver training and documents that all drivers have been trained in the safe handling and delivery of petroleum products.
11. In markets where local bulk storage facilities exist, this position provides oversight to make certain facility is in compliance with state and federal regulations.
12. Emphasizes safety by conducting safety meetings, investigating accidents, spills and injuries, and becoming familiar with all applicable federal and state laws and company safety policies.
Other Tasks: Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Experience: A minimum of 3 years management experience is necessary.
Other Attributes Required: • Strong communication and interpersonal skills • Assertiveness and leadership skills • Delegation and follow-up • Organizational skills Education: A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Certification and Testing: A Class B Commercial Drivers License with hazardous materials endorsement is preferred. The ability and interest in acquiring this licensing is required.
Contacts: On a daily basis the Delivery Driver Manager is in contact with customers, drivers, and other office staff. This position works closely with the Market Manager or Area Manager.
Decisions Made: The Delivery Manager makes decisions regarding hiring, maintenance issues, and whether to make deliveries based on safety issues and weather concerns. Most other decisions are made in consultation with the Market Manager or Area Manager. Safety
Considerations: Safety considerations relate to the safe delivery of petroleum products for the fleet. Any accidents, spills, overfills, or wrong deliveries are promptly reported and an investigation completed.
Equipment Used: Computer and other basic office equipment is utilized. When making a product delivery, a delivery truck and associated equipment is used. Work Environment: The majority of time is spent in a fast-paced office environment. During emergency or unusual situations, this position makes petroleum deliveries. (see physical requirements of Delivery Driver position for more details on this aspect of the job).
Physical Requirements Analysis: • The position requires frequent standing, walking, and sitting. • There is frequent use of the hands/arms to reach, feel, handle, or use a computer • There is frequent communication involving both talking and listening over the telephone or radio and in person Weight or Force Moved: The amount of weight normally moved is less than 25 pounds. For the delivery function, please see the Delivery Driver Physical Requirements listing.