We are looking for a Railroad Signal Transit Engineer to join our Rail team.
Skills and Abilities:
Understanding the following attributes of a signaling system:
- Train Control Systems for Freight, Commuter Rail, Light Rail, and High-speed rail operations
- Detailed knowledge of vital electrical circuits
- Knowledge and understanding of IEEE recommendations
- Wayside Signaling systems including wayside/cab, switch machines, track circuits, and cross bonding, and/or axle counters
- Ability to design in accordance with the FRA principles defined in the CFR 49 parts 234-236 relating to vital and non-vital software and to read, understand, and modify blueprints and electrical circuit diagrams
- Ability to design and modify Programmable Logic Controllers Vital and Non-Vital Microprocessor based systems
- Experience with designing “at grade” railroad crossing circuits for both constant and fixed warning systems including traffic preemption
- Designing, sizing and developing specifications for Power Supplies and Distribution.
- Perform design calculations, prepare material and equipment specifications and provide preliminary sketches and notes for drawings.
- Knowledge of office systems involving of computer-based control systems and dispatcher workstations
- Knowledge of railroad signal construction techniques and standards for heavy and light rail installations
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with CFR 49 Parts 234-236, AREMA Signal Manual and Recommendations and IEEE and how they pertain to train control systems.
- Working knowledge of all applications within the Microsoft Office software group.
- Ability to create or revise electronic drawings using AutoCAD and/or MicroStation CAD programs.
- support the installation, testing and commissioning of signaling, Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) and Positive Train Control (PTC) projects working from our New York City office.
- Participate in customer meetings and signaling design reviews.
- Participate in factory and construction field reviews, site inspections and commissioning procedures.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Motivated to lead and mentor others
- Ability to travel locally and nationally when required.
- A positive attitude towards teamwork, communication and problem-solving
- An Associate in Electrical Engineering or in a related field such as Computer Systems Engineering etc., and a minimum of 7 years’ experience in Railroad signaling design, or Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or in a related field such as Computer Systems Engineering etc. and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in railroad signaling design.
- Experience working with New York rail and transit systems (MTA, NYCT, LIRR, MNR, PATH, NJT) and/or Class I railroads.
- Experience with signaling standards and practices as it relates to all stages of signaling projects from design to installation and commissioning.
- Knowledge of signaling principles, circuits, components and implications of working with other disciplines.
- Understanding of AREMA and FRA standards.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
- Leadership skills with a drive and commitment to excel in people management and development.
- PE or EIT preferred but not mandated.