Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, the Legal Administrative Assistant performs a variety of administrative and transactional duties in support of attorneys, paralegals in the Real Estate practice group. Maintains positive contact with clients and co-workers, and observes confidentiality in all client and firm matters. Key job responsibilities include: working with attorneys to prepare for closings, including calling tax assessors for tax information; preparing settlement statements and other closing documents; e-recording documents and coordinating post closing matters, including the preparation of closing books; supporting title attorneys, title paralegals and Title Company, opening and maintaining title files, preparing and revising title commitments, searching for and retrieving recorded documents on registry websites; billing; performing conflict checks and opening new matter reports.
General Position Responsibilities
- Collect appropriate information/data in regards to opening new matter reports for incoming work.
- Coordinate preliminary conflict checks through the automated system to ensure attorney and firm ability to represent potential client.
- Prepare closing documents and assist in preparation for closings.
- Coordinating with Finance Department re disbursements and funding.
- Proofread and edit documents for grammatical, typographical and spelling errors. Finalize and distribute to clients, attorneys and staff. Ensure deadlines are anticipated and met.
- Receive, screen and route incoming telephone calls, conference calls and messages to attorneys, clients and staff promptly. Assist callers as appropriate in attorney’s absence. Refer callers to other attorneys and respond to inquiries when appropriate.
- Sort, date stamp and distribute incoming and outgoing mail promptly upon receipt several times a day. Open and review materials as directed.
- Transcribe and edit correspondence, documents, memoranda, and project work in the production of legal documents. Carry out instructions from tapes, verbal and/or handwritten materials. Compose routine correspondence for attorney signature.
- Coordinate conferences, meetings and appointments for attorneys and clients including conference room scheduling, meals, beverages, preparation of materials and greeting clients. Coordinate seminar registration and travel arrangements securing air, hotel and car reservations for attorney and clients.
- Maintain calendar of meetings and business trips according to the methods preferred by each attorney, apprising attorney of responsibilities in advance of commitment.
- Set up, organize and maintain firm files. Read and review material to be filed, file documents in proper files, and retrieve documents and files when requested. Designate disposition of files to either form files, attorney files or finish files as appropriate. Close files at end of matter.
- Perform a variety of administrative functions including processing new matter reports, preparation of expense reports, tracking CLE credits, coordinating with Finance Department regarding accounts receivable, etc.
- Employ firm applications efficiently and effectively to process work.
- Work collaboratively with others in the real estate group, including other administrative assistants, as well as others across the firm to meet the needs of attorneys across the firm.
- Follow up on requests made by attorneys, paralegals and clients.
- Assist other attorneys or staff in performing secretarial functions as requested or needed.
- Perform other functions as requested or needed.