This is an intermediate level position that requires significant technical expertise and relies on increasing business knowledge. While some review by a senior actuary is expected, this individual will take initiative in identifying, researching and analyzing complex issues and concepts. This position will participate in cross-functional initiatives to gain increasing business exposure and knowledge. Minimum qualifications include receiving a designation of Associate in the Society of Actuaries, and two to four years of relevant work experience. Generally, there are no direct reports associated with this position.
This job is responsible for activities surrounding pricing and rate development; overseeing assigned actuarial projects and developing and implementing sound actuarial policies and practices to help our Company meet its financial objectives; providing technical support for other areas such as Product Management & Development, Underwriting & Rating, and Sales.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform analysis of emerging experience, monitor marketplace and economic trends and review implications.
- Support development of analysis framework
- Recommend updated pricing, valuation or reserving assumptions
- Regularly communicate research findings and analysis to management
- Effectively work with any number of other cross functional/operational areas (e.g. underwriting, compliance, customer care) on specific initiatives.
- Depending on area assigned, develop pricing or valuation tools, prepare state filings, financial reports and tax returns.
- Act as mentor for student actuaries and interns
- Prepare routine reports
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree required
- Associate in the Society of Actuaries and the ability and desire to attain FSA status preferred.
- A minimum of two years hands-on experience and in-depth knowledge of business analysis, pricing, valuation, ALM or corporate experience.
- Strong problem solving ability and project management skills.
- Hands on experience with current technology (excel, one programming language, plus mainframe systems or database utility)
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability