The Project Accountant is a new key role for us working to support our project teams working on environmental focused projects that make a positive impact both locally and nationally. This role will partner with our Project Managers and Project Assistants by providing financial assistance during all phases of the project life-cycle. Someone successful in this role will have a strong understanding of accounting concepts including how project data and execution relates to P&L performance. This position may also be based in our Lakewood, CO, or Portland, ME offices.
The duties in this position include providing a wide range of project financial assistance to the SBU Controller in all financial reporting and accounting related services (including billing) required of corporate accounting. Auditing of project set up to minimize risk and ensure project controls and adherence to project contract obligations are accurately followed and assisting with internal controls on the annual audit process.
· Analyze project cost reports and meet frequently with Project Managers and SBU Controller to review the status of projects for invoicing, profitability, earnings, and costs.
· Understand how projects earn revenue in the accounting system and assist the SBU Controller in analyzing and recording monthly project earnings.
· Serve on selected project teams and provide support in tracking project costs from preliminary design through contract close-out.
· Partner with operations in implementing an effective project review /meeting process for creating operating efficiencies and achieving performance targets re: GM, NSR, OI.
· Support SBU leadership in the analysis and or development of strategic pricing for individual clients or the business unit.
· Monitor and update the Project Estimate at Completion (EAC) to ensure proper revenue recognition.,
· May Manage a core team of Project Financial Analyst
· Provide financial support on a wide range of operational matters.
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Management and 4 years of relevant experience, or an Associate’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Management and 6 years of experience in similar position, or 8 years of relevant experience
· Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook, with an emphasis on strong Excel skills.
· Proficiency in Deltek Vision or similar project accounting software preferred.
· Knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices, and the analysis and reporting of financial-related reports.
· Advanced knowledge of project accounting concepts and practices.
· Experience in Professional Engineering billing and contract administration preferred.
· Construction industry experience preferred.