We are looking for a motivated and experienced mid- or senior-level CAD Civil Designer to join our Technical Delivery Group CAD Discipline supporting our engineering practices across the firm. The successful candidate will be proficient in utilizing AutoCAD or Civil 3D software to set up and create civil project designs, drawing packages, layouts, plans, profiles, sections and details following national and company CAD standards.
The successful candidate will have experience supporting civil and environmental projects through stages of planning, permitting, conceptual and detail design, and construction document development. The successful candidate will have experience as a lead designer on assignments related to land and site development, stormwater, water, wastewater, and a variety of other multidisciplinary projects.
The right candidate must have a desire and aptitude to learn and apply new techniques and have experience with deadline-oriented civil engineering settings and knowledge of various aspects of civil design. You will work alongside experienced engineers and designers as part of a multidisciplinary design team and should have the ability to coordinate multiple areas of design with other disciplines (including structural, architectural, electrical, process piping, plumbing, utilities, etc.).
What You Will Be Doing:
- Perform complex work with minimal guidelines or supervision. Apply engineering fundamentals, recommend design procedures, and prepare preliminary conceptual and detail designs for engineers’ approval.
- Produce high quality project deliverables on schedule.
- Work independently on design projects.
- Coordinate project design teams as needed. Recognize project design needs and delegate work accordingly.
- Recognize problems, identify solutions, and present to design teams.
- Apply engineering fundamentals and applicable safety regulations with respect to facilities design.
- Confirm any special project requirements such as schedule, budget, deadlines, partial submittals, level of detail, client standards, special environments, confidentiality, etc.
- Ability to estimate sheet count and time requirements for new projects.
- Participation in CAD Discipline community of practice, user groups, information sharing, and use of company standards.
- Develop standard blocks and details for the 3D software packages.
- Assist in training of developing designers.
- Serve as a technical resource for discipline specific software questions and answers.
- Work under limited direction of Project Managers, Engineers, Senior Designers, and CAD Discipline Leader.
- The list of duties is not intended to be all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
This position is posted for our Andover, MA, or Dedham, MA offices but could be flexible to one of our other main offices for the right candidate.
What You Need To Succeed:
- 5+ years of relevant experience with specialization in preparing designs in the civil engineering field.
- Associates Degree or higher.
- Certificate program training with equivalent experience may be considered.
- Fully competent in all aspects of basic design software: AutoCAD, ArcGIS.
- Fully competent in the utilization of 3D vertical software packages: Autodesk products, Civil 3D.
- Graphics skills (Photoshop), InfraWorks, and Auto Turn are a plus.
- Competency in other disciplines a plus: Mechanical, piping, architectural (Revit, MEP, etc.).
- Competency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Office 365 Worklet Apps.
- Proficiency in reading, interpreting, and manipulating various discipline blueprints and schematic drawings.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively within project teams.
- Ability to manage one’s own time, workload, deadlines, and deliverable quality.